Devblog on the Ethnic Group Roma
Here is a compilation of Devblog articles that address the ethnic group Roma. Several of the articles are outputs of projects in Bulgaria and Norway that received funding from the EEA and Norway Grants, and that I wyas involved in as a representative of Norwegian partners, namely the NGO CBNRM Networking and the consulting firm Supras Limited.
Earlier versions of some of the articles have been published elsewhere. Most of the articles are in English, with a couple in Norwegian. The address a number of issues, including: advocacy, appropriation of cultural property, capacity development, human rights, development cooperation, ethnic groups, evaluation, health, inclusion, minorities, monitoring, Roma (largely from Bulgaria and Romania).
(9) "Kristiansand: Roma og utviklingshjelp". 12. februar 2021. https://devblog.no/no/article/kristiansand-roma-og-utviklingshjelp
Noter: (i) Denne artikkelen handler om Roma tiggere i Kristiansand, (ii) En artikkel med tittelen "Sanitærbrakka vil ikke fungere" ble trykket i Fædrelandsvennen, 25. april 2012, (iii) teksten ble delvis endret, mens tittelen "Roma, Kristiansand og utviklingshjelp" ble endret, (iv) Teksten i denne artikkelen er den opprinnelige (med noen få endringer), mens tittelen er laget for denne artikkelen.
(8) "Bulgaria: Roma in the Penitentiary System". 15 September 2020. https://devblog.no/en/article/bulgaria-roma-penitentiary-system
Notes: (i) This article presents aspects of a project I implemented together with a Roma NGO in Sofia, Bulgaria, (ii) The project received funding from the EEA and Norway Grants.
(7) "Romfolk: på an igjen". 26. august 2018. https://devblog.no/no/article/romfolk-pa-igjen
Noter: (i) Denne artikkelen ble skrevet i april 2017 som en kommentar til en pågående debatt i Fædrelandsvennen om Roma tiggere. Den ble imidlertid ikke sendt inn.
(6) "EEA and Norway Grants and Evaluation". 27 June 2018. https://devblog.no/en/article/eea-and-norway-grants-and-evaluation
Notes: (i) This article is a longer version of a comment contributed to EEA and Norway Grants' Facebook page on 18 June 2018, (ii) It is relevant in this context because a number of projects that were financed by this grant scheme and that I have worked on addressed Roma.
(5) "Appropriation of Indigenous Cultural Property". 31 March 2018. https://devblog.no/en/article/appropriation-indigenous-cultural-property
Notes: (i) This article is relevant in this context because the exact same thing happens with Roma cultural traits, especially in the area of music.
(4) "Roma and Health Awareness 2". 24 September 2016. https://devblog.no/en/article/roma-and-health-awareness-2
Notes: (i) This article presents aspects of a project I implemented together with Plovdiv Medical College, (ii) The project focused on providing public health information to Roma, (iii) The article is slightly revised from the original, published on LinkedIn Pulse on 24 September 2016, at: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/health-awareness-training-among-roma-bulgaria-lars-soeftestad, (iv) The project was discussed in the article "Agder og internasjonalisering" (https://devblog.no/no/article/agder-og-internasjonalisering), published in the regional daily newspaper "Fædrelandsvennen" on 24 September 2016, (v) Cf. image and article no. 3.
(3) "Roma and Health Awareness 1". 16 September 2016. https://devblog.no/en/article/roma-and-health-awareness-1
Notes: (i) This article presents aspects of a project I implemented together with Plovdiv Medical College, (ii) The project focused on providing public health information to Roma, (iii) Cf. image and article no. 4.
(2) "Train or Be Trained Vs Eat of Be Eaten". 28 August 2016. https://devblog.no/en/article/train-or-be-trained-vs-eat-or-be-eaten
Notes: (i) This article is adapted from a comment published on my personal Facebook page on 27 August 2016, (ii) The article addresses training I was involved in as part of a project implemented by Plovdiv Medical University in Bulgaria, with funding from EEA and Norway Grants. One of my tasks as a partner was to give training to medical staff at the university on Roma culture, values, and social organization.
(1) "Ethnographic Film and Advocacy". 31 July 2016. https://devblog.no/en/article/ethnographic-film-and-advocacy
Notes: (i) This article presents aspects of a project I was involved in that addressed Roma in Sofia, Bulgaria, with funding from the EEA and Norway Grants.
Lars T. Soeftestad
(1) Image credit: Supras Limited. About: Supras gave training on Roma culture, and social organization to staff at Plovdiv Medical University, Pamporovo, Bulgaria, 8-10 August 2016 (see articles 3 and 4 above).
(2) Relevant Devblog articles: "Minorities, Human Rights, and Political Activism" at: https://devblog.no/en/article/minorities-human-rights-and-political-activism
(3) Permalink: https://devblog.no/en/article/devblog-roma
(4) This article was published 18 March 2021. It was revised 28 March 2021.